7TH SERPENT: CROSSFIRE
7th Serpent is a third-person shooter modification for the Max Payne 2 game engine thrusting players into a world of corruption, secrecy and vengeance as they control Vince Petero - the main character - who has been subjected to experimental testing and is left to his own devices in order to extract the truth from those who keep it from him. More details and background information on the plot can be found at our Story section.
This mod will be released in chapters to help break down the projects into more manageable workloads and allow us to keep the interest in the mod high. We have been working undercover on this since mid-2003 and a significant head-start has been accomplished by the time the first chapter is unveiled. Additionally, there are two chapters in development at any one time and by the time one is released we will already have made significant progress on the next installment. As such, gamers won’t have to wait too long between chapters to get a dose of the mod.
- Varied, Interesting Gameplay. Our team subscribes to the “gameplay is king” maxim and we intend to do our best in order to maintain the tradition set by games like Half-Life 1 and 2 and the Max Payne series. 7th Serpent aims to provide a fun, exciting and original interactive playground where gamers will always have the next fresh experience to look forward to. Our collective creative power is regularly harnessed to come up with truly remarkable scenarios around which the success of the entire game revolves.
- Cinematic Flair. We envision 7th Serpent as a cinematic tour-de-force that the Max Payne engine lends itself so well to. For 7th Serpent, we want the cutscenes to translate the same cinematic glory found on Max Payne 2. We want them to be innovative, fresh, sophisticated and stylish, not another generic attempt to develop the story. However, to really put you in the game our emphasis falls squarely on scripted events that happen right there as you play the game and make you marvel in awe. We are trying to create a living, breathing world into our game and we want the player to be completely immersed on it.
- Great-Looking Visuals: 7th Serpent is a visually-stunning ride that ups the ante of what a modification can achieve. Our level artists have a relentless ambition to reach commercial-game quality standards and show gamers and entirely different visual experience than of the Max Payne games. We are doing our own prefabs, importing our own meshes from high-end modeling packages and using our own texture libraries to really make the mod stand out.
- Interactivity With the Environment: Our level design is based around giving the player different ways to approach a given challenge and learn to utilize the environment to his advantage. The Max Payne 2 physics implementation is admittedly limited but our team is determined to go past the mostly aesthetic ambitions given to physics in Max Payne 2 and try to push it more along the territory pioneered by Half-Life 2 with its largely inventive and creative physical puzzles. We are also going to great pains in order to fully implement physical features into every object on our level worlds.
- Graphic Novel: Replicating the approach Remedy took in Max Payne and looking to achieve the same level of immersion into the story, we are incorporating graphic novels into the game. They do however stay away from Max Payne’s particular style and feature a certain proprietary artistic aesthetic that fits the themes and story of the project.
- High Production Values: 7th Serpent promises to go to greater lengths in order to give gamers an experience comparable to what a AAA commercial game offers. We are recording our own orchestral score, casting our own voice actors, painting our own graphic novel, doing our own modeling assets, and all around doing whatever it takes to come up with a refreshingly refined and polished game modification.